What is Vision Therapy?
An Optometric Specialty (Click HERE to download our Vision Therapy brochure)
What is Vision Therapy?
Vision Therapy is an individualized, supervised, treatment program designed to correct visual-motor and/or perceptual-cognitive deficiencies. Vision Therapy sessions include procedures designed to enhance the brain's ability to control:
- eye alignment
- eye teaming
- eye focusing abilities
- eye movements
- visual processing
Visual-motor skills and endurance are developed through the use of specialized computer and optical devices, including therapeutic lenses, prisms, and filters. During the final stages of therapy, the patient's newly acquired visual skills are reinforced and made automatic through repetition and by integration with motor and cognitive skills.
Who Benefits from Vision Therapy?
Children and adults with visual challenges, such as:
Learning-related Vision Problems Vision Therapy can help children and adults who lack the necessary visual skills for effective reading, writing, and learning (i.e., eye movement and focusing skills, convergence, eye-hand activity, visual memory skills, etc.)
To learn more about vision-related learning problems, visit any of these web pages on
- What is Convergence Insufficiency?
- Eye Tracking and Eye Teaming
- Success with Dyslexia
- Is it ADD/ADHD or is it a Vision Problem?
- 20/20 is Not Enough
- Vision and Learning -- Links and Articles
Poor Binocular (Two-Eyed) Coordination
Vision Therapy helps individuals develop normal coordination and teamwork of the two eyes (binocular vision). When the two eyes fail to work together as an effective team, performance in many areas can suffer, such as reading, sports, depth perception, and eye contact, etc.
- Read about improved depth perception, eye tracking, and the elimination of double vision at Success with Visual Disabilties.
- To learn more about binocular (two-eyed) vision, visit web pages on What is 3D Stereo Vision or Depth Perception? and What is Convergence Insufficiency.
- Test your binocular vision with The Framing Game.
Strabismus and Amblyopia
Vision Therapy programs offer much higher cure rates for turned eyes and/or lazy eye when compared to eye surgery, glasses, and/or patching, without therapy. The earlier the patient receives Vision Therapy the better, however, our office has successfully treated patients well past 21 years of age.
- Children, adults and parents tell their stories about Success with Lazy Eye, Crossed Eyes, ect.
- An expert explains What is Cross-Eyed? and What is Amblyopia or Lazy Eye?.
- Find out about all types of eye turns at strabismus.org.
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about eye muscle surgery for crossed eyes and lazy eye.
- More helpful information and links can be found at children-special-needs.org and www.lazyeye.org.
Stress-induced Visual Difficulties
: 21st century lifestyles demand more from our vision than ever before. Children and adults in our technological society constantly use their near vision at work and at home. Environmental stresses on the visual system (including excessive computer use or close work) can induce eyestrain, headaches, and/or visual difficulties which can be effectively treated with corrective lenses and/or Vision Therapy.
Find out more about Vision Therapy and the elimination of blurry vision, headaches, and eyestrain at Success with Symptoms.
Visual Rehabilitation for Special Populations : Vision can be compromised as a result of neurological disorders or trauma to the nervous system (such as, head injuries, traumatic brain injuries, stroke, whiplash, developmental delays, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, etc.). Vision Therapy can effectively treat the visual consequences of brain trauma (including double vision).
- Read patient testimonials about the elimination of double vision and other visual difficulties at Success with Brain Injuries
- General information about brain injuries and vision at braininjuries.org.
Sports Vision Improvement
Strong visual skills are critical to sports success. Not much happens in sports until your eyes instruct your hands and body as to what to do! Vision Therapy can successfully improve eye-hand coordination, depth perception, visual reaction time, peripheral awareness, eye teaming, focusing, tracking, and visualization skills (to mention just a few).
- Vision Therapy has helped many children and adults enjoy newfound Success with Sports and Coordination
|Saturday||One Sat.||Per Month|
Newsletter Sign Up
North Park Vision Center
10359 Federal Boulevard
Westminster, CO 80260
Connect With Us
Learn more about the anatomy of your eye with our Interactive Eye!